In most circumstances, you can request refunds online in your account. However, there are different processes for delays, cancellations, partial refunds. We've covered these in the sections below.
Which tickets can I refund?
Anytime, Off-Peak and Super Off-Peak
|Yes, you're eligible a refund, less a fee.|
|Advance Single||These tickets are non-refundable.|
All flexible tickets
|Yes, you're eligible for a full refund, less a fee.|
Combination of Flexible and Advance tickets
|You're only eligble for a refund, less a fee on the flexible part of the ticket, unless your train was delayed or cancelled|
All Advance tickets
|You're not eligible for a refund unless your train was delayed or cancelled.|
Refund part of a booking
Advance tickets are only sold as Single fares and are non-refundable. You can change the date/time of travel via your online account. This must be done before your original planned departure date.
Anytime, Off-Peak and Super Off-Peak tickets bought as singles can be refunded
- In full, less a fee.
- Refund one direction of an outward and return journey.
- Refund one ticket of a multi passenger booking.
Refunds on these single tickets can be requested via your online account.
Anytime, Off-Peak and Super Off-Peak tickets bought as one return can be refunded
- In full, less a fee.
- Partial refund on the return leg may be possible depending on the ticket value. To request a refund for only the return leg you’ll need to call us.
- Partial refund of only the oubound leg is not available.
For all refunds we charge a tiered refund fee (based on the price of your ticket).
How to request a refund online
If you have an account:
- Sign in.
- Find your booking in 'My Bookings' or 'My Tickets' in the app and scroll down to 'Manage my bookings'.
- Select 'Refund my tickets' or 'Change date/time'.
If you don’t have an account:
- Create an account by following the link in your confirmation email. Search your inbox for firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Follow the steps above to request your exchange or refund.
Please bear in mind, we can only refund tickets that have not been used. But, if you’ve only used one part of a Return ticket, you may be eligible for a partial refund. Mobile Tickets that are activated are not eligible for a refund.
When will I get my refund?
Refunds can take an average of 3-5 days to process. You can check the status of your refund in your account.
Here's a guide to what the statuses mean.
- Refunded/ Refund Approved - You've done everything you need to and your refund is on the way back to you, it will appear in your account within 5 days.
- Refund Processing/ Refund - Action Required – Before we can process your refund we may need you to return your tickets.
- Refund Rejected– We’re unable to refund your tickets. This could be because you've scanned your eticket or activated your Mobile Ticket.
My card has expired
We only refund the card that was originally used to make the booking – this is to make sure that the refund goes to the right place and avoids any problems. If your card has expired then normally this won’t make any difference to money being refunded.
If your account is closed and the refund still isn't appearing in your account after 15 days, please contact your card issuer. They'll be holding the funds for you and will be able to arrange a transfer to your new account. If your card issue has confirmed that the refund funds have been sent back to us, please obtain an ARN number from them to allow us to trace the returned refund.